The best creation that I have ever read on a baking blog was to add yellow cake mix to the rice krispie treat batter. I wanted to make it tonight, but since I am moving from my apartment and cleaning out all of the baking essentials, I only had a box of chocolate cake mix. My roommate and I looked at each other and said “Should we try it?” Without even another thought we both said “YES!!”
The double chocolate comes from two things, the chocolate cake mix and the drizzle of chocolate on top. Next time I make this I may add semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter, or even peanut butter chips. But since this was my first go around with this recipe, I decided to stick with the basics.
I really really really hope you guys try this recipe! It is so simple and really will put a smile on your face. I refrigerate it overnight just to make my life easier and then cut it. Or if your are like my roommate Susan, you could just eat it straight from the bowl after you mix everything up 🙂
- ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 10-oz bag marshmallows
- 1 ½ cups chocolate cake mix
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 cups rice krispies
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- Melt the butter in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Add the marshmallows and coat them in the melted butter. Place back into the microwave and microwave for 30-sec intervals. After each interval, mix the ingredients until they are all melted and combined.
- Add the chocolate cake mix and vanilla extract.
- Fold in about 4 cups of rice krispies until everything is coated. Add the final 2 cups and mix.
- Press the mixture into a GREASED 9 x 13 pan* with your fingers.
- Refrigerate until firm (about 1 hr)**
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Once the chocolate is melted and “drizzable,” take the pan out of the refrigerator and drizzle the chocolate on top with a fork.
- Wait a little bit and then cut the rice krispie treats into squares. ENJOY!!
*You can use any size pan that you like. All I have is a 9 x 13, so that is what I use.
**Remember, you don’t have to refrigerate the rice krispies, my roommate chose to eat it straight from the bowl!!